How long does it take to clean a shake machine?
Dave Baker
2006-01-16 05:05:29 UTC
I eat McDonalds one a week or so.

Seems every time I go there, the shake machine is unavailable "for cleaning".
It seems pretty stupid to have a machine unavailable at peak hour (lunchtime)
so I pointed this out to the Manager.

He said they can't do anything about it, as it takes 5 to 6 hours for
cleaning, and they start as soon as they come in for morning shift.

Sounds pretty stupid to me, having a machine that takes so long to clean.

Is he correct? Or making excuses?

Also, how often do they need to clean them? Am I just picking the wrong day
to turn up?

Dave
Wojo
2006-01-16 05:29:53 UTC
This all depends on how up to date that McDonald's is.
Newer (last 7-8 years or so) machines only need to be cleaned every 14 days
but go through a heat treatment cycle once a day that should be set up to do
overnight. As far as cleaning we have ours down cleaned and back up in about
2 hours and start very early so we are running by 8am or so barring
problems.
Older machines are cleaned everyday but way back when we had these we took
them apart at night to clean and they put them back together in the morning
which only took an hour or so.
Either the manager is making excuses or the store is not being run correctly
or they have an extremely slow person doing the machine. Maybe one of those
chimps the "so-called" bishop thinks can do the job.
-Wojo
Dave
Dave Baker
2006-01-18 01:06:28 UTC
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 05:29:53 GMT, "Wojo"
Post by Wojo
This all depends on how up to date that McDonald's is.
Newer (last 7-8 years or so) machines only need to be cleaned every 14 days
but go through a heat treatment cycle once a day that should be set up to do
overnight.
That sounds like the same one - the manager said they clean them every 2
weeks (though it was down twice in 7 days recently - both days I went there)

Post by Wojo
2 hours and start very early so we are running by 8am or so barring
problems.
Ok - they say 5 or 6 hours here - seems as though they are just damn slow -
when I go there the front round thing is pulled out, but I never see anyone
actually working on the machine.
Post by Wojo
Either the manager is making excuses or the store is not being run correctly
or they have an extremely slow person doing the machine.
This is Malaysia - the concept of "service" still hasn't reached here. They
have 5 cash registers, enough staff to run 5 cash registers, but instead they
only run 2, and stand there getting in each other's way with 2 people helping
each other fill each order.

So, I agree - it looks like they are making excuses.

Thanks for the info - most enlightening!

Dave
Geoff Miller
2006-01-18 16:19:38 UTC
Post by Dave Baker
Seems every time I go there, the shake machine is unavailable
"for cleaning".
I have a similar experience at Burger King oftentimes, only it's
that the shake machine is *broken.*
Post by Dave Baker
He said they can't do anything about it, as it takes 5 to 6 hours for
cleaning, and they start as soon as they come in for morning shift.
Does someone have to be in attendance while that's happening, or is
the process automated? If the latter, then they should start it at
closing time and let it run during the night.

Geoff
--
"This thread is a riot. It really brings the dewy-eyed innocents
out of the tall grass, where they can be picked off at leisure."
-- Tim Scott
Wojo
2006-01-19 01:36:02 UTC
Post by Dave Baker
He said they can't do anything about it, as it takes 5 to 6 hours for
cleaning, and they start as soon as they come in for morning shift.
Does someone have to be in attendance while that's happening, or is
the process automated? If the latter, then they should start it at
closing time and let it run during the night.
Somebody has to be in attendance to take the machine apart, clean it, and
put it back together. Burger King, AFAIK, uses Taylor machines just like we
do. It simply doesn't take that long to do.